Menu

Loved One Arrested? What You Should Know About Posting Bail


About Me

Loved One Arrested? What You Should Know About Posting Bail

One night I was sitting at home relaxing when my husband called me from jail. He told me he had been arrested and asked me to post bail. I had no idea how bail worked. I didn't know if I should do it, what it would cost or how to go about doing it. I created this website because I know that others may find themselves in the position that I once found myself in. I hope my information helps you make a decision on whether or not to post bail, and teaches you what to expect should you do so.

Tags

Latest Posts

The Benefits of Being a Public Notary
25 April 2024

Have you ever considered becoming a public notary?

Where to Turn When Facing a Divorce
29 February 2024

Going through a divorce can be one of the most cha

Why Hiring a Wills Attorney Might Be the Best Decision You'll Ever Make
24 January 2024

Death is not a comfortable topic, and neither is e

Securing Your Future: The Role of Financial Legacy Planning
20 December 2023

In the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it's ea

Why Hiring a Bankruptcy Attorney Can Be Beneficial
29 November 2023

Declaring bankruptcy is not easy and comes with pl

Categories

What To Know About Dividing Retirement Income After A Divorce

There are many aspects of a divorce that are quite easy to figure out, such as splitting personal property. You know the assets that you have, and it is simply a matter of splitting them up evenly. However, things get a bit tricky when you need to split up things that don't have a clear value, such as retirement and pension accounts. Here is what you should know about navigating the problem.

Know What Are Retirement Assets

It's crucial to know what retirement assets need to be divided during a divorce. Even though you may not have seen a dime from a pension plan at the time you are getting a divorce, the benefits will need to be appropriately divided once it is received. There are also contribution plans, such as 401(k) or an IRA, which accumulate funds based on employer or personal contributions. These are all up for division during a divorce. 

Know Your State Distribution Laws

Your state will use community property or equitable distribution laws to handle retirement income. If you live in a community property state, all of the retirement assets obtained during a divorce are community property and must be divided fairly. Equitable distribution states are a bit different, where retirement assets are divided with fairness in mind.

Community Property Law Example

Here is an example of what dividing a pension may look like in a community property state. Consider a couple that is married for 15 years, and the wife earns a pension and plans on retiring after 30 years of working. This means that the couple was together during half of the wife's employment where she earned a pension, and the husband would then be entitled to half of the pension earned while they were married. Community property laws may allow for the husband to receive 25% of the pension once it is distributed, and the wife receives the remaining 75%. 

Equitable Distribution Example

There are many more factors that go into dividing retirement in an equitable distribution state, so there is no formula for what would be fair without using a very specific example as a situation. However, things like how long a couple was married, each person's contribution to the marriage, and their financial circumstances are all considered when dividing a pension. The goal is to provide fair distribution of pension benefits so that one partner is not left without any money for retirement. 

However, a judge may consider a different split in cases where adultery took place during the marriage. The innocent spouse may end up receiving more than their fair share to make up for the misconduct. For more information, contact a firm like Brabazon Law Office, LLC.